Westover is registered under the Data protection Act 1998 – Register entry Z5332568
As a business we are committed to good practice as laid out in the 8 Data Protection Principles:
1. Information in personal data shall be obtained and processed fairly and lawfully.
2. Personal data shall be held only for a specified and lawful purpose.
3. Personal data held for a purpose shall not be disclosed in any manner incompatible with that purpose.
4. Personal data held must be adequate, not excessive and relevant to the purpose for which it is held.
5. Personal data shall be accurate and kept up to date where necessary.
6. Personal data shall not be held for longer than necessary for its purpose.
7. Appropriate measures shall be taken against unauthorised access to personal data and its alteration, disclosure, accidental loss or destruction.
8. An individual shall be entitled to be informed that data is held, to have access to such data and, where appropriate, to have it corrected or erased.
All members of staff must be aware of these principles and the right to client confidentiality.
In order to comply with these principles anyone visiting the surgery in a working capacity (eg: work experience students RSPCA staff etc) shall only view client files when in the company of a member of staff.
Anyone who has had access to a client’s file must never discuss the data held when outside The Westover Veterinary Centre Ltd.